Today I began prepping the drivers side of Tiny for some sheeting. The OCD part of me could not resist getting out the scales and checking some facts. I pulled off the side boards and drop as few screws as possible into the lawn. (I lost three.) . I then weighed the lumber and the screw’s.
The new steel weight is approximately 9.5# including the new screws. I guess I only saved about half but I know the new design will be more weather tight. Also, the removed lumber is still fine for crafts and other projects. (Aged cedar is great for bird houses.)
Now about the tool I purchased in 2009 and never even opened the package. I knew I needed it, because it was so awesome. But when would I need it? Today in 2018. This is a special adapter for the power screwdriver that coverts the torque 90 degrees for fitting into small areas.
In today’s case the bay window roofing. There is only about three inches between the roof and the eve above it. There were about 20 screws on each holding the shingles on. I thought I was going to have to cut all of those screws with the saws-all. You can see in the pictures how it fits together with the drill and the small space it is able to fit into.
To be honest I have used my SawMax once before this project. It was for cutting the vent holes in Hickory flooring so the vent covers could fit after replacing old carpet. This time I am using it for the sheet metal. Again I wish I had remembered I owned this tool earlier. Last weekend I used five Dremel blades (those little 1 inch discs) cutting a few feet of steel. This last weekend I did all of my cutting for the passenger side and still have not changed blades. The saw is also more controllable and cuts faster. I highly recommend this tool for sheets of corrugated steel. Tin Snips would not have done this job acceptably.
Here is a close view of a cut I made as well as the saw with current blade/disc: